GI Joe Trading Card Game
September 02, 2014, 02:05:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Got to get tough, Yo Joe!

Home   Forum Gallery Downloads Articles Links Team Login Register Chat Search  

Shout Box

Last 5 Shouts:
November 05, 2012, 04:25:27 PM
November 04, 2012, 02:17:19 PM
New custom card release...
December 09, 2011, 06:53:53 PM
Hey guys!
February 20, 2011, 05:34:35 PM
Makphisto may be watching, but Night Creeper is always hunting...
February 16, 2011, 11:01:11 PM
Makphisto is always watching...
Show 50 latest

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 02:05:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 7208
  • Total Topics: 742
  • Online Today: 8
  • Online Ever: 131
  • (August 15, 2009, 02:26:29 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 8
Total: 8
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vassal Engine  (Read 16847 times)
ABCoLD
Greenshirt
United States United States

Affiliation : G.I.Joe

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 11:23:11 AM »

Make sure you are also downloading gijoetcg.mod and NOT the files with a .mdx file extension.

If you want to use the files with a .mdx file extension then follow these guidelines. (Semi-advanced users)
Create a GI Joe TCG folder (any name)
Place gijoetcg.mod into the folder.
Open the folder and within this folder create another folder named gijoetcg_ext
Open gijoetcg_ext and place the .mdx files you want to use inside this folder.
Open gijoetcg.mod normally in Vassal, your additional card sets will now load.

You must have and use gijoetcg.mod before you can use the .mdx files.  These are module extension files, and add additional information to the module, but you must have the base module to use them.
MacGyver
V.I.P.
Officer

Not your average Joe...

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 11:58:53 AM »

GOT IT!!!  I was doing everything right and knew where I downloaded the thing to, but for some reason it wasn't showing up in Vassal till I started over...again...and I was having trouble finding the file even outside of Vassal.  I feel like my computer's all wonky because it seems like I have to navigate to files in a round about way or it won't be where I put it.  Love Vista, but that drives me nuts.  Cool...can't wait to check this out!  Thanks for tolerating my fussy computer and/or my lack of whatever...  Smiley

Some of my favorite people are action figures.
http://not-your-average-joe.embarqspace.com/
Lt Storm
Administrator
Hero
Canada Canada

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 12:13:28 PM »

How much space does this require, better yet what are the system requirements.  I'm a bit limited for space until my new memory card comes in...which should have been by now... Angry

Visit my site and check out the Data Files for more on my Canada's Elite team!
ABCoLD
Greenshirt

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 01:25:43 PM »

How much space does this require, better yet what are the system requirements.  I'm a bit limited for space until my new memory card comes in...which should have been by now... Angry
Vassal itself installed is only 16.5 megs.  I can get by running the Joe TCG module on a 1.9 ghz processor with only 512 megs of ram and a whole lot of stuff running in the background.
ABCoLD
Greenshirt

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 01:27:08 PM »

Love Vista, but that drives me nuts.  Cool...can't wait to check this out!  Thanks for tolerating my fussy computer and/or my lack of whatever...  Smiley
No problem.  Vista is notoriously.... notorious when it comes to installation of new programs. Smiley
Silent Master
Hero

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 03:07:57 AM »

Vista is notoriously.... notorious when it comes to installation of new programs.

Can you tell me if there is actually ANYTHING GOOD about Vista?!  I mean GOOD enough to warrant FORCING me and everyone else who buys a new system, to HAVE to use it?  I can't find it if there is, and so far, I haven't met anyone who knows either.  I despise it, and with what I am hearing here, between you and MacGuyver, regarding the Vassal/TCG installation I'm about to start hating it even more, I think. 

Well, this just cements my desire for a much simpler installation/usability for Vassal and the TCG.  I do appreciate the step-by-step instruction and the note about the adjusted extension.  Now I just have to decide if battling Vista will really be worth it to get the thing installed once completed. *sigh* Roll Eyes

"Continue the Mission."  "This I Command."
MacGyver
V.I.P.
Officer

Not your average Joe...

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2009, 05:42:23 AM »

When I got a new machine, I actually toyed with the idea of having both XP and Vista on it so I could switch when I wanted to.  But with the extra expense I decided to bite the bullet.  Actually I really like Vista a lot...It doesn't seem a whole lot different in how it behaves than XP.  It didn't take me long to adjust to any differences.  I love the dock because I've got most everything I use, including files, plugged into it and so they're not cluttering up my GI Joe desktop.  Wink  The only thing I don't like, and I'm not entirely sure it's not my fault, is it seems really hard to navigate through files.  I say that this is probably partly my fault because I transferred all my files before I understood the file system in Vista.  I know where something is, dagnabit, and sometimes I feel like it's hit or miss if I find it again unless I search.  That was the problem I had with the tcg module...I could find it one way, but I couldn't find it through Vassal, and then I couldn't find it another way even tho I ended up in the same place.  I probably have 3 copies of the thing somewhere on the computer...  Vassal downloaded and installed just fine.  In fact I don't think I've had any problem at all with installing a program, except for some older ones I had on my XP machine.  These were ones I expected to be difficult because they were iffy on XP.  Some I've gotten to work by adjusting the settings.  Others, I can't seem to find the right combination to make them work.  I would say don't stress much over it.  If your XP machine does the job, hold onto it, but if you have to, you won't be totally disappointed with Vista.  Honestly, I'm not sure I could say what's drastically different than XP other than the desktop/start menu interfaces...and the seemingly wonky file system.  Wink

Silent Master
Hero

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2009, 09:18:12 AM »

When I got a new machine, I actually toyed with the idea of having both XP and Vista on it so I could switch when I wanted to.  But with the extra expense I decided to bite the bullet. 

Actually, it's probably a good thing for you that you didn't make the extra purhase to have XP on the same PC, because I found recently (when I attempted to replace the Vista operating system of my new PC with XP) that the new computers with Vista WILL NOT allow any other operating systems and are NOT compatible with any prior systems for replacement, hence my statement about being FORCED to use Vista against my will.   Angry

I have sitting here beside me a brand new PC and ZERO desire to start using it because the Vista format sucks and will create such a chore to reintegrate all of my old files and peripherals, not to mention relearning how to navigate the mish mosh of a totally new (and unnecessarily reformatted system) that I can't help but wonder, "Why bother?"   Huh?

Basically, everything you've told me here has just reinforced that feeling, as I have heard of not a single person actually LIKING the system (except for you, of course, lol), much less offering ANY praise at all for Vista.  When a company has to create a commercial specifically for the purpose of "convincing" people that Vista "isn't a bad system" and doesn't suck (a la, the Vista "Mojave" commercials), that tells me that there are A LOT of dissatisfied people out there who feel just like I do about it.  I've used it on friends' computers, to see how it works, but really just hate it all the way around.  It is unnecessarily convoluted, and basically a real pain to navigate and utilize effectively. Roll Eyes

Please don't take offense to this, but for the sake of Microsoft (or whoever) I'm glad that at least one person doesn't hate it, MacGuyver.   Grin

"Continue the Mission."  "This I Command."
ABCoLD
Greenshirt

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2009, 10:23:37 AM »

Actually, it's probably a good thing for you that you didn't make the extra purhase to have XP on the same PC, because I found recently (when I attempted to replace the Vista operating system of my new PC with XP) that the new computers with Vista WILL NOT allow any other operating systems and are NOT compatible with any prior systems for replacement, hence my statement about being FORCED to use Vista against my will.   Angry
Have you tried formatting the hard drive? Tongue  I forget if DVD/CD drivers are stored on the harddrive or are inherent to the motherboard/drive.   I'd suggest doing it but then you might turn your fancy new computer into an inert brick without proper startup stuffles.  It'd probably work though... but I'm not sure. 

Personally, I would go to extreme measures to avoid using Vista, I don't use it, I have a sister whom I do tech support for.
Warrant Officer Flint
Hero

Yo Joe

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2009, 11:48:04 AM »

Hmm... it's all clear what we are all trying to say...

Vista sucks and Mac rocks!

Sorry, I had to say that Cheesy

MacGyver
V.I.P.
Officer

Not your average Joe...

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2009, 11:56:43 AM »

It DOES take some getting used to.  I didn't think it was very intuitive at all and I did a lot of guessing when I got started.  Convoluted...that's a GREAT word for it.  ...It's entirely likely that I don't mind Vista because I'm really too dumb to know the difference!  LOL! 

The option to get both XP and Vista on one machine was through Dell.  Not sure if anyone else out there offers that. 

Back on topic...I've made a couple of decks in Vassal.  Smiley  Is there a way to edit a deck after you've saved it or do you just have to do a new deck?

ABCoLD
Greenshirt

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2009, 01:39:10 PM »

Back on topic...I've made a couple of decks in Vassal.  Smiley  Is there a way to edit a deck after you've saved it or do you just have to do a new deck?
Load the deck, alter it, save it as the same filename.  What do you see so far that you like, what do you see that you hate?
Solo
V.I.P.
Officer

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2009, 03:48:14 PM »

I got a MAC too ABC.  Can this be played on that or is it only written for "crappola" microsoft 'chines?  I have a PC as well and refuse to load Vista on it.  Would mucho prefer to load it onto the MAC.

Lastly, where can this be downloaded from.

p.s. this is different then deckbuilder, yes?

From one Vet to any other, Thanks and keep up the great work!   Yo Joe!"

"A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life wrote a blank check made payable to'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

SFC Cheryl McElroy
US ARMY (RET)
ABCoLD
Greenshirt

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2009, 03:57:09 PM »

I got a MAC too ABC.  Can this be played on that or is it only written for "crappola" microsoft 'chines?  I have a PC as well and refuse to load Vista on it.  Would mucho prefer to load it onto the MAC.

Lastly, where can this be downloaded from.

p.s. this is different then deckbuilder, yes?
Well, following the download link I see downloads for Windows, Mac, and Linux.  But since I don't have a Mac you'll have to tell me if it runs or not! Smiley
Warrant Officer Flint
Hero

Yo Joe

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2009, 03:59:05 PM »

It does work for mac, I have it on mine. Tell me when you guys are gonna play.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc
Design By simply sibyl And Free Forum Hosting